Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sexy and I Know it


The Superbowl is over but I keep seeing this ad EVERYWHERE! I think it is pretty funny and entertaining but I can't seem to figure out why the M&M company keeps airing it. I think the ad became so popular because it combined a summer hit song with sexist comedy. It is nice that the ad did not direct its sexism at females in particular--it poked fun at both genders.

I think it is interesting that at first the marketers objectified the female M&M by having guys laugh at her for appearing naked and then she proved them wrong because she was in fact wearing her shell. Instead of making women the butt of their jokes like most other companies or people do, the M&M marketers made the female the sophisticated M&M who was watching a stupid boy make a fool of himself. However, the advertisers did play into the stereotype of the stupid red M&M who is a "party boy" when they have him strip down at the party. I think that this ad plays into many stereotypes, such as smart vs. stupidity with the glasses vs. no glasses. This ad even identifies females as sophisticated and males as partiers, which is different form the old school gender roles in which men were thought to be more intelligent/classy and women were more likely to be viewed as stupid or be objectified. I hope the M&M company can come up with another clever ad at this year's Superbowl that challenges other social norms that we do not usually think about.

1 comment:

  1. I actually do not know this ads.
    So I checked above. I think it is quite funny. I agree. The song probably helps. The more a consumer can associate him/herself with an ads (eg. by recognize the background music) the better.

    I also liked your comment about how " the ad did not direct its sexism at females in particular--it poked fun at both genders."

    ReplyDelete