Monday, November 5, 2012

Is anything "sacred" anymore?

What I mean by that title is: are there no arts left that digital media has not touched? I recently read this article in The New York Times about a professional piano player who uses an iPad as her "sheet" music during her recitals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/arts/music/jenny-q-chai-at-le-poisson-rouge.html?ref=arts

As a piano player myself, I use the instrument as a means of "escape" from my busy, media and technology loaded, life. As well, when I play I feel as if I am in another time, a time when live music was the only music. Playing Chopin from sheet music on an old Steinway, I feel like I'm living in The Great Gatsby.

However, this classical art is no longer immune to technology and media. (Side note: neither is The Great Gatsby. Watch the trailer for the new movie. I don't think they had pop music then.)

It really makes me wonder what aspects of our lives do not touch technology or social media at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment