Monday, November 12, 2012

Misleading Commercials



          Nothing could stress a college student more, other than Finals and Mid-terms that is, than registration. Registration can cause a student much frustration when the system, through which one is registering, is not working properly. Therefore after battling, to no avail, with the system, I turned to the internet to cheer me up. I decided that I could take an hour or two off to simply relax by catching up with some of my shows. I wanted to watch something funny, with a little bit of drama; thus something that could properly cheer me up. So I turned to Hulu to watch one of my favorite comedies, and it was while I was watching said comedy that I came across a rather strange ad.
        The advertisement posted above is not one that is common for Sears. It does not state that it is even closely affiliated to the company until the very end when the protagonist of the love story runs right into a refrigerator.Most department store commercials state their purpose and with whom they are affiliated from the very beginning or at least half way through (as displayed in the second commercial). Therefore when I originally saw the first commercial I was a bit confused because it seemed as though it was just another movie trailer. A love story that takes place somewhere we least expect it to sounded kind of cute; a common theme now though, never the less still cute. Then they threw me off when they had the leading man run into the an appliance. After seeing this ad, I was curious to see if Sears had done another like it and it turns out that they have. The other commercial is similar to the first one I saw. In this other ad, we see a young couple in love spending the day together at the beach, completely bliss, then they run into an assortment of appliances.
        After viewing all of these advertisements for Sears, I still do not understand why they would want to market their products in such an unconventional manner. Maybe they are trying to keep the viewers attention with something that does not straight forwardly say this is an ad for more clothes or appliances. It is the Christmas season after all, we the public are constantly being bombarded with advertisements claiming that they will make our holiday shopping easier. Why not try to persuade the audience to buy your product by not giving them what they might be expecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment