Sunday, November 11, 2012

Homosexuality in Advertisements

When I look at a magazine, 9.9 times out of 10 I will see heterosexual advertisements. These ads display romance as between a man and a woman. Realistically,I know this is not true. Love can also be between two men or two women. I found this advertisement on the Internet for JCPenny, an extremely popular clothing store for middle class families. The ad's tagline is "Freedom of Expression." I believe this is very fitting, for the ad displays two ladies with their daughter. Seeing this advertisement puts a smile on my face because it shows how love really is in America. With more and more states legalizing gay marriage, families like the one displayed are increasing. JCPenny is taking a huge risk by being one of the first companies to advertise a homosexual family. Overall, the ad shows that homosexual families are as normal and as happy as heterosexual families. Hopefully more companies will follow suit and use these types of ads to appeal to a wider audience.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Yes this is a really refreshing ad. And I agree that JCPenny is taking a huge step in the right direction by recognizing that not all families look alike.

    ReplyDelete