Sunday, November 25, 2012

Made in the USA?



     What’s made in the USA these days? Nothing much. The majority of products sold and purchased in the USA today were produced in other countries.  I know how hard it is to find anything, especially clothing that was made in the US because my grandfather will only wear clothing and buy appliances that were made in the USA.  In a couple more years, he probably won’t have any more clothes to wear.  Once, my younger siblings bought a baseball hat for him that said “Made in the USA” only to look at the tag and discover it was made in Thailand. 
     This ad for Orion shows that the closer you look at something the more details you will be able to see.  While I do not know for certain where the flag on the moon was manufactured, this ad does more than just sell its product, it also brings up some thought provoking questions about production and manufacturing in the USA today. 
     The “thought provoking” aspect of this advertisement was clearly intentional, but to what end? Will people be more likely to buy this product because the ad made a political statement or will consumers take it at face value and see it at face value.
     I know one thing.  If I were in the market for a telescope, and I happened upon this ad, I would check to see where Orion telescopes are manufactured.  Maybe they are made in the USA, but it is more likely that they are not. 


 Picture from: 

No comments:

Post a Comment