Monday, November 26, 2012

A Good Ad

I was amazed to see this commercial while I was trying to watch an Adele video on YouTube about a week ago.  As many now know, YouTube plays random commercials before airing the content that the viewer wants. They have been doing this for about three or so years in order to raise revenue, used so that users of the website do not have to pay a monthly fee. Usually these commercials are like the ones aired on the television; ads for clothes, appliances, vacations, food destinations, etc. It would seem that they advertise everything except anything that can be useful for the public. That is why I was more than surprised when this ad came on, I had never seen a public announcement like this one on YouTube before. Therefore I allowed the ad to run its course. The theme song of this ad is a rather curious one, Staying Alive by the Bee Gees, is a classic that everyone recognizes. The message behind the song, which is one of survival hence the name, goes perfectly when one is trying to perform CPR. The tempo of the song, as pointed out in the video, goes perfectly with the rate needed to perform CPR correctly. An amateur can perform this task easy enough if they have watched this video. Upon further reflection after watching this video several times, I can honestly comment that there should be more advertisements such as this one. The public needs be an informed one, not one that is constantly being bombarded with useless commercials.

1 comment:

  1. You're right Anna. This was really a great idea. I learned CPR years ago and have never had to use it, but if I do in the future I'll be sure to remember the Bee Gees tune.

    ReplyDelete