Saturday, November 24, 2012

Nintendo Using Non-Gamers



Last month, Nintendo recently launched "I'm Not a Gamer" campaign, which features actors and athletes playing the latest Nintendo games and 3DS gaming system. In these videos, people play the gaming console - finishing game levels and styling characters - while insisting that they aren't gamers. 

Having watched these videos, I found Nintendo's advertising tactic very misleading. I understand that Nintendo is trying to appeal to a broader audience from this ad. But as a gamer, I found the ad alienating (and insulting) the people who actually enjoy video games. These ads not only showed me a message that the featured people lacked sincerity and were paid to sponsor, but also evinced an elitist message that "it isn't cool to like video games." 

However, due to the threats the gaming industry are facing from apps, Nintendo's tactic is only inevitable. In order to target a broad audience, the company is using famous faces to market their products. Although the ads have shown to be effective, given Nintendo's huge sales, I wish that in the future the company would use an ad that will appeal both non-gamers and gamers. Hard-core gamers may make up a small number of body, but the company shouldn't alienate its true supporters for profits. 

2 comments:

  1. I am quite confused as to how is this ad appealing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mariem. I think it's a lousy ad: it alienates one group of users, and fails, really, to appeal to another. The game she's playing looks childish and stupid on the screen (even if it's really fun in real life), and she seems...snobbish.

    ReplyDelete