Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Power of Creativity


               




After visiting the popular internet meme site, 9gag, I came across to a series of ads created by the Science World, a science center run by a not-for-profit organization located in Vancouver, BC. At first, I had no clue what the Science World was about. But after seeing the clever marketing promotion, I became interested, and from this immediate interest, I browsed through the internet, learning that the Science World was a science center in Vancouver. Even though my family and friends live more close to the Seattle Science Museum, the ads made me convince my family and friends to drive the extra miles to visit the Science center in Vancouver.

This example shows that companies/businesses don’t have to use sexist, exclusive, and/or adverse ads to attract viewers. Although featuring attractive models and using gender stereotypes oftentimes help lure
prospective consumers in today’s society, like shown in the “ Axe Showerpooling” video I posted last week, I personally enjoyed and preferred Science World's clever, inclusive, family-friendly ads. Given their creativity, the ads were able to differentiate Science World from the Seattle Science Museum, which encouraged my family and friends to drive the extra miles to see the science center in Vancouver.

But for creativity, it seems like businesses/companies have to invest lots of resources – time and/or money – to plan and create an ad campaign that capture the audience. And so, given the effort needed to create somewhat “original” ads, businesses/companies oftentimes rely on sexist, violent, and/or mature content since they usually do a good job in inciting reactions and commanding attention from their audience.   

http://shielababes.blogspot.com/2007/11/science-world-magazine-ad-campaign.html

No comments:

Post a Comment