Saturday, October 27, 2012

Body Image


I found this ad while attending a meeting of the new body image club at Smith. This video depicts the false advertising that most companies participate in--distorting the bodies of their models so that they appear flawless and can presumably market the product better. I did not realize how computerized and modified the model process was until I saw this commercial. I am proud that Dove has taken a stand against using these methods to sell their products and has made a campaign for young woman about promoting a positive body image. I wish that more companies would follow in the footsteps of Dove, but people are so accustomed to "perfect" models, that embracing "normal" models would require a fundamental change in what we perceive and believe is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment