Saturday, October 27, 2012

The New Windows 8

Since I am not regularly informed about computer technology, I was not aware of the fact that Microsoft had another version of Windows in the making. I was therefore shocked to find out that there is now a newest version of Windows, Windows 8, available in the market. I can still remember how innovative it was for us long-termWindows XP users to switch to Windows Vista, followed by a quick change to Windows 7. In my mind, the switch to Windows 7 is still very recent, and since my personal computer operates on the "outdated" Vista, I still find computers with Windows 7 really modern. I have barely learned to work with Windows 7, but apparently Microsoft executives felt that it was the right time to introduce a new software to consumers. The release of Windows 8 is definitely an example of creating planned obsolesence. Not only will consumers with perfectly functioning Windows 7 buy the new version, but they will also buy new computers to support that software. Along with Windows 8, Microsoft introduces a whole new series of unprecedented computers with rotating screens, detachable parts and minimum weight on its internet site. Windows 8 also shows Microsoft's attempt to create a software that is much more oriented towards the personal needs of the consumers. The opening screen can be personalized by the owner, so that the customer feels cherished and not part of a "faceless", generalized public.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/home

1 comment:

  1. Great point.
    Well to start with I as well use Windows 7.
    I think it certainly is quite early to come up with a new version.
    And I agree it is fascinating how there is and will always be ways to replace fully functional item in order to create a need for consumption.

    ReplyDelete