Monday, October 22, 2012

Christmas is Coming

The last couple of days I have been hearing Christmas tunes in my head, the main being, "Here comes Santa Clause, here comes Santa Clause, right down Santa Clause lane". I couldn't understand why. Then today as I was watching television with a couple of my friends I realized what was happening. As the commercials began to roll, I started noticing a pattern: child's toy commercial, child's toy commercial, child toys commercial, than a Walmart add announcing lay-away. It seemed that this patterned would continue endlessly, and it made me realize that I was already beginning to feel as though Christmas was almost here. The bombardment of toy commercials and the constant reminder that lay-away is back caused my brain to associate both of these events with the holiday season. Which in turn made me realize that Halloween hadn't even passed and already marketers were beginning to manipulate us into believing that we needed to buy Christmas presents. It would seem that Christmas is coming sooner each year, every child's dream but not every parents. Marketers have created a world were parents need options such as lay-away in order to give their children the toys they want. Parent's should not feel the need to worry about what they are going to give their children two months from now, their only concern should be if their children need new uniforms or more school supplies. It is hard to put what we need ahead of what we want because of the world we live in. Parents feel the need to give their children these new expensive toys because they believe it will help their toddler recognize color and sound or their five year old improve his or her reading skills, when in reality they do not have to worry about such things. Toys such as these are expensive, hence the lay-away option now available at many stores offering parents this chance to buy ahead of time. Children do not need these toys, yet they feel they do because of all these advertisements telling them to ask their parents for said toys in mid October. Consequently I believe I will be hearing more Christmas tunes before Christmas season actually starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment