Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Pepsi Generation




Several years ago Pepsi released this commercial and it got me hooked. (Not on the product, because I rarely drink soda and I think Pepsi is too sweet!) By hooked I mean it accomplished its objective; it got me staying tuned until the very end. Unfortunately I was ultimately disappointed and found myself groaning because the last few seconds were so very hokey. The unsatisfying ending got me thinking about how bizarre it was to imagine these monks drinking a soft drink. Aren't they usually associated with a sensible, unprocessed diet? To see PepsiCo suggesting that a monastery would serve something that we in the U.S. consume in qualities that have been attributed to obesity was a bit absurd. Isn't a monastic life thought of as being one of moderation? Having a tattoo on one's forehead that resembles the top of a can of Pepsi seems to be a bit obsessive, as well.   Despite the fact that the whole idea was so far fetched  I like to think that it didn't offend anyone. And it was so refreshing not to see scantily clad women anywhere on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment