Monday, September 24, 2012

Really Whatch Your Advertisements Before You Choose a Favorite


       Ever since I saw this advertisement (the video above) from the Superbowl, I have loved it. While I have never been much of a Coke drinker, I have always enjoyed their advertisements. This advertisement features what every Coke commercial does, a nice cold coke sitting in a tub of ice. This advertisement, unlike many others, does not use a woman's sex appeal to sell its product. Instead, it uses the idea of getting past one's differences and coming together to share a nice coke.


      In 1971, Coke featured an advertisement "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" (the video above). This advertisement also gave me more respect for the company. Once again, the message is about unity rather than sex appeal. After watching these commercials, I knew I would probably choose Coke over Pepsi if the price was the same. But after I watched the advertisement below, I knew I would definitely choose Coke over Pepsi even thought the taste is the same. When I first watched the video, I didn't like that the first time you see the Pepsi, is when it is held next to a busty woman. But what I really found offensive about this advertisement was that the king was a white man, and when he dropped down to the jail, he found himself next to a back man. The hiring process for this advertisement is appalling that they chose a white actor for the person of power, and a black actor for the jail mate. So next time I am buying soda for a party, Coke will be the bottle I reach for.






1 comment:

  1. It's refreshing (ha) that you admit here that there's no real difference between the two sodas--that in fact, you'll make the decision based on their advertising. Pepsi is grabbing a different demographic with its ad (which features Elton John and Flava Flav and I assume someone else famous in the person of the young buxom singer) than Coke, which is going more global and PC with its message. You just happen to be in the Coke demographic, rather than the Pepsi one...

    ReplyDelete