Monday, September 17, 2012

Most Interesting Man In The World




I like to watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report online.

And a Dos Equis commercial similar to this one that I found on YouTube is often aired before or during the show.

Initially, I was puzzled at seeing an older gentleman starring in the ad since I don’t consider him to be the age of the typical Comedy Central viewer, and advertisers generally target a specific demographic-age often being one consideration.

But, then I realized that both programs most likely have a large percentage of male viewers and that the 30 second spots typically have scantily clad, sophisticated-looking women placed somewhere in the mix. Aha, it all began to make sense!

And, is this old guy’s life style being portrayed as something for young men to aspire too? Is the brewer implying that if one drinks this brand of Mexican beer one’s future as a bon vivant will be secured?

Also, why is the actor telling us to “stay thirsty, my friends?” Are we being told that no matter how old we become the world still offers us unlimited challenges?

Or is this just the distributor’s way of reminding us to drink in moderation?

Then again, this might be nothing more than a very clever way to promote a product and I’m putting too much energy deconstructing something that was designed to be remembered, shared and enjoyed.

The end result is that the importer has succeeded in getting me to continue to think and write about their product, even though it’s not a brand that I would typically buy. So, let’s raise a glass and drink responsibly to their success!

No comments:

Post a Comment