Monday, September 17, 2012

Alcohol for Women



When I think of a typical alcohol commercial, I see a busty woman dressed in revealing clothing. But this commercial was not targeted towards men using a woman's sex appeal, it was targeted toward females.

The creator of the commercial played on the idea that woman like sexy firemen, kittens, cooking and fashion advice. The commercial begins with a fireman being a hero by saving a kitten. It continues like most commercials, by having the main subject wear less and less clothing as time goes on. Culturally, our society often relates alcohol to sex appeal, and ads like this only promote that image.

As I watched the ad for a second time, I realized that they were replicating a cooking show but adding in a sexual appeal to attract women to this ad. And the kitten is sure to catch the eye of women viewers and children alike. I remember years ago learning about how Camel Cigarettes used a cartoon camel in order to grab children's attention, so that they would be familiar with that brand and buy it when they became adults. Perhaps this commercial is seeking to make a similar impression.

Either way, I found it fascinating they used a male instead of a female for the alcohol commercial. But what I found more fascinating, was the fact that I assumed it should be a female and that this was not normal in our culture to objectify a male like this. Women are so often objectified that it seems normal and acceptable. I look forward to seeing if more ads will adopt this new structure.

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot going on in this ad, eh? It relies on stereotypes of women and men, of course--and poses not only an impossible standard for men to live up to, but also a kind of limited range of what might be interesting to women. But it's doing that as a sort of send-up of conventional advertising, right? It's...parody? That means that if you're smart enough to see it as ironic, you feel grateful to them for recognizing the stereotypes they're using--but if you don't see it as ironic, you may just enjoy the eye candy. I have to admit, it worked on me, both ways.

    ReplyDelete