Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In Response to "Survivor: Phone Edition"

Today, I had a discussion with a friend about the iPhone 4S vs. the iPhone 5. I asked her if it was really that much better, and she told me what sold the phone to her was the iPhone 5 commercials on Apple's site. Immediately, I was eager to go onto the site. I watched through a bunch of their ads and I was amazed at the simplicity. The phone is displayed in the center of the white screen, taking up almost the entire window, and there are few to no people.

IPhone 5 TV Ad - Thumb

The videos that do have people have the people that work for apple. They are not actors. They speak to the viewer about "why this phone is better," and they give actual reasons. They do not need to compare it to other phones, because it is unlike other phones. 

iPhone 5

Whenever, I see the new Samsung commercial on TV I am either confused or zone out because it it boring and too wordy. I could not tell who was in line, or what people wanted, or what was actually being advertised. This could be due to my short attention span for commercials, but I think they just overcomplicated their marketing. They are selling a product, but I am more focused on who's who in the commercial. 

When analyzing commercials, I believe that simplicity sells. There is only a limited amount of time during commercial breaks, so why not just display the product and talk about how great it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment