Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gay Coffee


When I spent my Thanksgiving Break with my sister at Northampton, we came across to Gay Coffee, a coffee brand originated in Williamsburg, MA, at the local Broadside Books store. Given its unique humor and theme, we read the information on the back, learning that "Gay Coffee is gay owned and operated and donates a percentage of profits to local and national LGBT organization." In addition to featuring the company's history, the product provided information regarding LGBT cultural and history.

Considering the growing prevalence of gay culture, I wasn't surprised  seeing this product. With the gay and lesbian issues dominating headlines and media, it is typical to see businesses incorporating widely-discussed topics to appeal to the masses. However, what I am shocked about is seeing a pro-gay company using gay stereotypes to advertise. Even though the packaging did a great job in capturing my and my sister's attention, I am not sure whether that the advertising and packaging do evince a positive message/tactics that the LGBT group wants to have. Also, the company's usage of  a gay theme for a coffee brand doesn't make any sense. Even though I applaud the company's efforts in donating a part of their revenue to LGBT related groups, I disapprove of the company's marketing tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment