Monday, December 3, 2012

Energy Drinks: Advertisements NOT Aimed at Kids? Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/01/business/markey-presses-ftc-to-investigate-energy-drink-ads.html

I find it interesting that these sports drink companies - such as 5-Hour Energy and Monster Energy drink - are claiming that they are not advertising to teenagers or kids. Then who are they selling to? Our grandparents? I highly doubt that the majority of energy-drink consumers are older than 30.

The article states: "the Food and Drug Administration received reports of 18 deaths in recent years in which energy drinks may have played a role..." 


Personally, I know a friend who had to go to the hospital after an increased irregular heart rate due to drinking Red Bull. 

Teenagers and young adults - college kids, young professionals, and partiers - are the ones who drink these drinks. And I think it is irresponsible to claim that they are not advertising to these people, especially when their products may cause death. 

Maybe, I'll start to believe them the next time I see an 80 year old drinking Monster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment